Tuesday, 9 April 2013

The Highs + The Lows


The other day I was talking to my lovely sister Helen about post-uni life, and trying to make it as a self-employed human. These past 8 months have been the first in my life where I've had no idea about what I will be doing over the coming years. Sometimes I find that thought exciting and refreshing, other times extremely worrying.

Running a small business like mine is so unpredictable. There are weeks where I will be swept off my feet with orders, commissions and new ideas for products to design and make. And there are others where I feel like I will never sell another item! (I can be temperamental). These are hard facts to come to terms with, and I know that I need to keep positive through the bad times in order to make this business work. 

I absolutely LOVE making and selling my jewellery and illustration products. I can't explain how fantastic it feels to know other people appreciate my hard work and creativity! I'm very proud that I have followed my heart and haven't yet given up. There is something so honest and satisfying about selling things I have made. If I worked in an office, I know for a fact that I'd feel less grateful for the money I earnt. Sadly, I think people now expect to get paid for simply their time, rather than their hard work or achievements. 

On another note, people often ask me what I actually do when I am working. It's up there in my top 3 most repetitive and annoying questions, which are as follows;

3. Have you got a job yet?
2. What do you actually do?
1. What is illustration?

A list of what I do

Product design & development
Product making
Sourcing materials
Branding, graphic design & packaging design
  Photography
Sales, wholesale & customer service
Accounts & stock taking
Web design social media marketing


SOMETHING ELSE!

My website was long-overdue an update and a revamp. Over the past couple of days, I've cleaned up the appearance, updated my portfolio and created a section for my jewellery design. I think it looks so much better! What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. Loving the site revamp :) Hate the negative questions towards what you do, your little shop is lovely, so never give up doing what you love! x

    ReplyDelete